Monday, July 25, 2005

Newsflash: Half naked 24-7 team member caught in Karaoke Bar

Hello all!

This is my first post on this intergalactic entity they call a blog and I have to say I'm finding it quite a thrill. We are in Budapest, which is awesome! So beautiful and such a free city with real identity and an ownership of itself, unlike the unforntunate Prague and Vienna, who we felt had been prostituted to the destruction of Tourism machines and commercial super-companies. I know business is business, but I for one, Chris for two and the others for seven do not expect to see a Tescos in the middle of the golden city of Prague.

I'm finding this mission a challenge in every way, spiritually mentally and emotionally, and with all this pressure building up there had to be something to release it all. Friends, Family, Followers, last night I committed a henious sin, almost too terrible to mention. I embarked, and it makes me cry to say it, upon the dirty and illegitimate game of Karaoke. It was only when I was swirling my shirt around my head and hanging myself with the mike lead that I realised the exhileration of this pillar of Britain, and began to enjoy it! The song was Pink Floyd's incredible 'Hey You' from 'The Wall' and i am proud to say, was performed in the Alan Partridge stylee. It must be said that the Hungarian audience remained bemused and uneffected (and slightly concerned about my mental fitness) but for the few brits present I'm sure it was an inspiration performance which they certainly will never forget. We have the video evidence to prove it.

This is our fifth stop, the last being Belgrade on Wednesday, and we are all feeling the fatigue of the trip, especially after the low point of Vienna, but the Lord has been gracious with his spirit and empassioned us a new here in Budapest, continued prayer on this subject would be much appreciated though. We are eager to build in these cities and not to visit, and although we are not working all the time, God is, and whenever we make ourselves available he uses us, whether we can see it or not is another matter, but i guess that is what faith is for. This is God's story not ours, thank goodness, and its awesome to be used in such a radical way.

On a personal note, I feel that with Mission as my focus my faith is coming into perspective. I am reading the bible in a way i haven't for a long time, our faith is being tested, challenged and applied every day, and I am more aware of God's heart for the world, that there is so many people he wants to reach if only we are willing to be used. God wants us to live to the maximum, he has huge visions, he is never satisfied with the 'alright' or 'most of our effort', he lives in the fast lane, and that excites me. Many problems i experience at GSA are evaporating as Mission becomes my focus, and ultimately, Worshipping my Father, and proclaiming the name of Jesus all over Europe. I've been reading Pete Greig's 'The Vision and the Vow' which i would heartily recommend, which has inspired and challenged me greatly.


Thank you all so much for your support and prayers which are so powerful. Goodnight and Amen.


Chris, aka Brethren John (the thin one)

3 comments:

big dave said...

God bless you guys, we have now reached our final stop of Kiev and Prague now seems like a long way away. however we are staying in a very nice air conditioned appartment (on the 10th floor)

Praying for you and would appreciate your prayers too. You know the sort of things...

God bless, and keep building.

Dave (Prague-Kiev mobile team)

big dave said...

cheers. you too.

Anonymous said...

"Willing to be used" - that's the place to be, be it Budapest or Belgrade. And seeing more of God's "huge vision" - that's the thing to see, not least in the encounters and friendships He gives you. Good on you seven. Tom.